Friday, August 7, 2009

John Hughes died yesterday at 59. A total surprise. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago in the area that many of his movies were filmed. I turned 16 the year before Sixteen Candles. My high schools detention was called breakfast club. I am loath to admit (although less so now than when I was a teen) that I identified with many of Anthony Michael Halls characters (especially in Sixteen Candles and the Breakfast Club).

John Hughes's movies captured a key time of my life. I still enjoy watching them today. Earlier this summer I watched Sixteen Candles with my daughter who is entering high school in the fall. I am not sure she saw it as I saw it. To her it was more like watching a history movie...What High School Was Like For My Dad.

Although he had not made a movie in years, I suppose I always figured he might make one more about my generation. Maybe a DVD release with unused footage or a directors commentary. As far as I can tell, he never did a directors commentary for his classic teen movies. That is too bad, especially now. Maybe he wanted to do it but kept telling himself, next year.

John Hughes will be missed, but because of his amazing movies, not forgotten. In some way they are the homemovies of a generation.

JP

No comments: